[Bitcoin-development] Payment Protocol: BIP 70, 71, 72

Pieter Wuille pieter.wuille at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 21:54:44 UTC 2013

I see payment URIs rather as a replacement for bitcoin: URI rather
than an extension. It solves everything they did in a much cleaner
way, Given that bitcoin: have gotten some traction, we probably want
to reuse the moniker, but replace the rest entirely. In other words,
if a request is specified, nothing else should be.

There is just no useful way to combine them either - payments
generalize destinations to arbitrary scripts, messages are handled
inline, amounts are defined inline. And if you want to rely on the
payment infrastructure to work, you cannot risk people using the
old-style static address in the URI.