[Bitcoin-development] Payment Protocol: BIP 70, 71, 72

Roy Badami roy at gnomon.org.uk
Wed Aug 7 22:03:58 UTC 2013

But the reality is that in many applications you need to provide a
single URL.

Consider existing point-of-sale systems that display QR codes for the
user to scan.  They live within the limitations of existing bitcoin
URLs, but would no doubt benefit from the payments protocol.

It's not realistic for the terminal operator in a retail establishment
to have to select which protocol will be used before generating the QR
code - so the effect of your proposal is to require lowest common
denominator and effectively prevent such systems from using the
payments protocol (at least until it is sufficiently ubiquitous that
they feel happy to simply require its use).

roy