[Bitcoin-development] Optional "wallet-linkable" address format (Re-request)

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Fri Aug 9 20:35:07 UTC 2013

It's BIP specified and implemented in Bitcoin-Qt so now is the time to
start :) I'm hoping that most wallets can announce support near
simultaneously ....

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 10:12 PM, Alan Reiner <etotheipi at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> chains are used to provide inputs.
>> - Add code to figure out lookaheads for each alternate chain.  Not just
>> each chain, but looking ahead a couple chains, too.  Luckily, the lookahead
>> doesn't have to be very big for chains j>=1
>> - Add an interface to display and choose the different chains in your
>> wallet, and export the pubkey&chaincode in some soon-to-be-standardized
>> format.
>> - Add code and interface to receive and track alternate j-chains from
>> other clients/users, and maintain those.  Should we try associating
>> incoming and outgoing chains?  What happens if they do it wrong?  Meh...
>>
>> Just as one final swipe at this idea, you can see that I gotta do quite a
>> bit of work to support the multi-chain idea, and adds a little extra burden
>> on the user to maintain the organization of the wallet.  This would all be
>> totally unnecessary with a simple alternate encoding.  Granted, I think the
>> multi-chain idea is good, and one that I will probably implement anyway,
>> but it seems like overkill in terms of developer complexity, and interface
>> complexity to achieve something much simpler.  Developers of much
>> simpler/lightweight clients would probably find this prohibitive.
>>
>> On another note:  I thought we weren't encouraging automatic payments
>> without requesting from the other party...?  It makes me uneasy, but it
>> sounds like group thought has converged on that being acceptable.  I bring
>> it up, because there are situations where it makes sense, but it sounds
>> unsafe for general users.   Alice will give Bob his own chain for sending
>> Alice money, then a year later Bob will send money automatically to Alice
>> not realizing that the wallet was lost, retired or compromised.  It's not
>> that Bob can't ask for a new address, it's that if the interface says "Send
>> Money to Alice", that looks legit enough that Bob may not feel it necessary
>> to check with Alice first.   That's more of an interface issue though.  We
>> can add a warning to "check with the recipient that they still have access
>> to wallet 3cQ398x", etc.   But I just know someone is going to lose money
>> anyway...
>>
>> -Alan
>>

>> On 06/20/2013 03:32 AM, Mike Hearn wrote:
>>
>> Agree with Jeremy and once the payment protocol work is further along I'd
>> like to see us define an extension that lets you send payment requests
>> containing public keys+chain codes, so further payments can be made
>> push-style with no recipient interaction (e.g. for repeated billing). How
>> apps choose to arrange their chains internally seems like an area for
>> experimentation. I definitely want to implement HD wallets in bitcoinj to
>> allow this and if that means not using the same tree structure as in the
>> BIP then so be it.

>>>  M/i/j/k,
>>> "free" to
>>>
>>>  Initially I was thinking that you would share the public key and chain
>>> from [m/i'/0] so that you can receive payments at [m/i'/0/k], for a
>>> unique
>>> value of 'i' for each receive chain.
>>>
>>> For the case of generating new receive chains from a *watch-only*
>>> wallet, as
>>> you say, the options are to either keep a cache of PubKey/ChainCode for
>>> unused [m/i'] or simply increment 'j' past 1 for an existing [m/i'/j] --
>>> the
>>> concept of 'internal/'external' and change addresses at Depth=2 don't
>>> make
>>> sense for handing out receive chains to lots of people anyway, and
>>> certainly
>>> BIP32 doesn't *require* 0 <= j <= 1.  So I think incrementing 'j' is the
>>> way
>>> to go here...
>>>
>>> The "default" layout of BIP32 does NOT mean that implementations should
>>> not
>>> check for transactions with j > 1. That would be a useless constraint and
>>> obviously self-limiting. It might be helpful to add to the
>>> 'Compatibility'
>>> section some minimum expectations about how a wallet should be 'probed'
>>> when
>>> imported. If you don't feel completely free to monotonically increment