[Bitcoin-development] LevelDB in master

Pieter Wuille pieter.wuille at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 20:53:36 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 11:52 AM, Peter Todd <pete at petertodd.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 09:39:16AM +0000, Luke-Jr wrote:
>> Now-merged pull request #2702 appears to have put the master branch on an
>> unofficial Ripple fork of LevelDB, rather than merely updating us to LevelDB
>> 1.12.0. While Vinnie did somewhat disclose this, I don't see any evidence the
>> nature of this was fully understood by others. As I understood the pull
>> request, the "Ripple and Bitcoin fork" was just LevelDB with the changes we
>> had already made. Mike's comments on the pull request (his audit) suggest that
>> this may have been the case in an earlier revision of it. But in fact, there
>> appear to be a number of other changes included in what was finally merged a
>> few weeks ago. Furthermore, Ripple's fork did not do a proper git merge of
>> upstream, thus there is a break in git history, and, more importantly, a
>> number of upstream fixes (including some we have had reported to the Bitcoin
>> issue tracker) were not included in this merge.
>>
>> I've pushed three branches to https://github.com/luke-jr/leveldb :
>>   bitcoin-1.5   Our old/unreleased LevelDB 1.5 fork, for reference
>>   bitcoin       Our LevelDB 1.7 fork, included in 0.8.x
>>   bitcoin-up    Our LevelDB 1.7 fork, merged with upstream LevelDB 1.12
>>
>> A diff from current master (Ripple LevelDB 1.12 fork) to bitcoin-up:
>>   https://gist.github.com/luke-jr/6248543

Thanks for investigating this. I guess it's my fault for not checking
the diff before the final merge. I guess the simultaneous switch to a
git-subtree'd leveldb made it harder to review.

In any case, the changes seem harmless, but I think we should revert
to a codebase as close as possible to upstream LevelDB 1.12. The diff
you have between bitcoin head and bitcoin-up shows a few reverted
patches that we included during 0.9's merge window, a patch by ripple
to add a compaction delay (which they seem to have reverted now too)
and one weird ripple-specific commit (which just seems to remove
issue178_test.cc).

I've put a cleaned-up history of the LevelDB subtree in the
http://github.com/bitcoin/leveldb repository (branch bitcoin-fork),
and then used git-subtree to create a pull request (#2907) which
switches our src/leveldb directory to this tree. It correctly lists
the reverted (and sometimes re-applied) changes in the squashed commit
(please review!). The actual diff corresponds to the diff you
produced, with the reverted changes in our repository re-applied.

--
Pieter