[Bitcoin-development] NODE_BLOOM BIP

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Sun Aug 18 22:00:23 UTC 2013

The original Bloom filtering spec did not make this feature optional for
the same reason gzip isn't an optional part of the PNG specification. I see
no reason to revisit that. It's definitely not the case that making every
possible feature optional is smart design, often it's the opposite.

If in future there are nodes that for some reason can't technically support
this feature, then there'd be a stronger rationale for something like this.
However no such nodes exist, nor are they likely to in future given that
it's a simple feature to implement.

For these reason I oppose this BIP.