[Bitcoin-development] Proposal: remove "getwork" RPC from bitcoind

Jorge Timón jtimon at monetize.io
Mon Aug 19 22:49:46 UTC 2013

Removing getwork and the old miner and packaging a better miner seems
the best solution for the reasons already mentioned.

Not directly related, but this remembered me that we planned to
remove the accounting features on freicoin. We don't want to adapt
them for demurrage and we think business shouldn't use it and should
code their own accounting system instead. One that keeps a full log
of the accounting, etc.
Unfortunately the first exchange to support freicoin (cryptonit) used
this feature for accounting user balances on the exchange.

So the question is, is there any good reason to maintain this?
Is any serious business really using this or anyone at all?

I'm talking about removing the following rpc calls:

getaccount
getaddressesbyaccount
getbalance
getreceivedbyaccount
listaccounts
listreceivedbyaccount
move
sendfrom
setaccount

...and modifying these:

getnewaddress
listreceivedbyaddress
listtransactions
sendmany

I think this would also leave a cleaner API, but I'm just interested
on what the objections would be to this removal.

How crazy does this sound?
Should we reconsider their removal for freicoin, proceed or create a
pull request for bitcoin?

--
Jorge Timón

http://freico.in/