[Bitcoin-development] Making bitcoin traceability harder

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Wed Aug 21 12:00:48 UTC 2013

Faré,

Let me start out by noting that there are plenty of good ideas which could be
implemented, but haven't been yet, and might take a long time to get to. There
are only a couple handfuls of Bitcoin developers, and even fewer of us who are
able to work full-time on Bitcoin development. Perhaps surprisingly, even this
often isn't the bottleneck to new functionality: we have a terrible shortage
of testers, needed to make sure improvements don't break things in subtle
ways. So, while your ideas are appreciated, please keep in mind that it may
take time to add them, and you can help Bitcoin development much more by
aiding in testing currently-written-but-untested features.

With regard to your points made specifically, please note that addresses are
intended to be single-use only. Thus, the "recurrent user of address A/B" are
not using Bitcoin correctly already, which is why they are so easy to trace.
As far as keeping change amounts as powers of two, while I would personally
love to find a justification for power-of-two amounts, I don't see how this
would help privacy. I think it would actually hurt privacy, as change would
now be clearly identifiable. Furthermore, it would necessarily have to throw
away excess as a transaction fee - some users would be very upset with this.

As you suggest, it is of course already best practice for merchants (and
individuals!) to use a unique payment address for every transaction. Gavin's
payment protocol work has been making some great progress toward improving
usability for this. There is also a general consensus that Bitcoin-Qt's
"Receive coins" tab could be significantly improved to discourage address
reuse further. I don't believe it has been discussed to have merchants use
multiple addresses/coins for a single payment; that might be worth some
further discussion here as a privacy extension, but I don't think many would
consider it an urgent issue (it may help, but probably not enough to make it
worthwhile).

Luke