[Bitcoin-development] Floating fees and SPV clients

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Mon Dec 2 14:33:46 UTC 2013

Right, as I said earlier:

"The payment protocol at least would need some notion of fee, or possibly
(better?) the ability for a recipient to specify some inputs as well as
some outputs."

Having thought about it a bit more, I think it's better to just have a fee
field that lets the receiver request the sender to attach the given fee.
The outputs would have less value associated with them, so effectively the
seller folds the fee into the price. If the seller is charging a round
price like 1 mBTC, the user sees "1 mBTC" as the price, even if behind the
scenes the created tx only sends 0.99999 BTC

Allowing specification of inputs seems to add too much complexity in other
cases, like when value isn't specified at all.