[Bitcoin-development] Floating fees and SPV clients

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at bitpay.com
Mon Dec 2 14:37:45 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Mike Hearn <mike at plan99.net> wrote:
> "The payment protocol at least would need some notion of fee, or possibly
> (better?) the ability for a recipient to specify some inputs as well as some
> outputs."

<vendor hat: on>

BitPay noticed this detail last week.  We were noticing that some
transactions were not even reaching our bitcoind border routers (edge
nodes), due to low/no fees.  That led to a long discussion of all
things fee-related.  SPV fees are a big issue.  Getting
child-pays-for-parent in some form out to miners is another.  Getting
a smart, dynamic fee market Gavin mentions is a big need.

--
Jeff Garzik
Bitcoin core developer and open source evangelist