[Bitcoin-development] Move authorative source for BIPs to git repository

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at bitpay.com
Thu Dec 5 14:43:08 UTC 2013

This entire discussion is recycled.  Please review the previous
discussion, before asking the same questions over again.

Properly done, there are FEWER hurdles.  In the previous discussion,
there was outlined a process whereby the BIPS Editor would receive an
email, and could take it from there.  No wiki login or bitcoin payment
required.  More advanced users may submit pull requests.

Compared with a hash-sealed git repo as primary source, the wiki is
second class.

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 9:27 AM, Luke-Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> On Thursday, December 05, 2013 1:37:10 PM Wladimir wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> A while ago after discussion on the mailing list a repository was set up to
>> store the BIP documents, as this is deemed a more secure solution than
>> having them on the wiki:
>>
>> https://github.com/bitcoin/bips
>>
>> To prevent confusion the next step should probably be to replace the BIPs
>> on the wiki with links to the github documents, with a notice that changes
>> should be proposed on github or mailed to the BIP editor (gmaxwell).
>>
>> Agreed?
>
> I think this would stifle active BIP draft editing. We're already having a
> hard time getting some developers to write BIPs for their proposals - I don't
> think we should be putting up bigger hurdles.
>
> Luke

Jeff Garzik
Bitcoin core developer and open source evangelist
BitPay, Inc.      https://bitpay.com/