[Bitcoin-development] Dedicated server for bitcoin.org, your thoughts?

Drak drak at zikula.org
Sun Dec 8 10:00:35 UTC 2013

There is really no excuse for not using an SSL certificate. Without one it
would be trivial for an attacker to change the contents of the page via
MITM.
Recent studies have shown MASSIVE abuse of the BGP routing protocol being
used to redirect websites through a third party.
This is not a theoretical attack, it's happening every single day on a
global scale and could be used to divert users to a rogue versions of
software.
It's just a matter of time... it will happen sooner or later given the
incentives it could bring...

Recent references:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/22/net_traffic_redirection_attacks/
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/12/bgp-hijacking-belarus-iceland/

The only way to mitigate these MITMs is to use SSL.

Also it's about time we hosted the Bitcoin Qt software at Github. They have
a releases feature where you can upload a packaged release (see
https://github.com/blog/1547-release-your-software). There are also no
adverts (another privacy leak at the least) and many feel are more
trustworthy than Sourceforge: it also makes sense to have the downloads
where the source is developed.

Regards,

Drak