[Bitcoin-development] Merge avoidance and P2P connection encryption

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Thu Dec 12 18:24:46 UTC 2013

I think the right way to integrate BIP32 and BIP70 would be to specify
output scripts as normal for backwards compatibility, and then allow each
output to have an additional xpubkey and iteration count field. The
iteration counts could be unsigned.

Unfortunately to add data that isn't signed requires a backwards
incompatible change to the protocol :( There isn't currently any area that
isn't covered by the signature. We would have to add one, and then have a
matching array of iteration counts for each xpubkey that was specified in
the output.

I wonder if we should make a last minute change to BIP70 before wallets
have shipped and merchant support starts, something like

message PaymentRequest {
  optional byte unsigned_data = 6;
}

that would be deleted like the signature is before reserialization.