[Bitcoin-development] Merge avoidance and P2P connection encryption

Gavin Andresen gavinandresen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 00:20:50 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 4:24 AM, Mike Hearn <mike at plan99.net> wrote:

> I think the right way to integrate BIP32 and BIP70 would be to specify
> output scripts as normal for backwards compatibility, and then allow each
> output to have an additional xpubkey and iteration count field. The
> iteration counts could be unsigned.

Why would there be an iteration count? The payer would handle that,
wouldn't they?

If the use case is:  I give the Foundation a "here's where to pay my
salary" PaymentRequest, maybe with several Outputs each having a different
xpubkey, then it seems to me the Foundation's wallet software should take
care of iterating.

(either saving state, so it knows it used xpubkey+10 last month and should
use xpubkey+11 this month, or maybe it knows I'm paid monthly and just uses
xpubkey+(number_of_months_from_date_in_original_payment_request).

Gavin Andresen