[Bitcoin-development] Merge avoidance and P2P connection encryption

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at bitpay.com
Fri Dec 13 00:26:34 UTC 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 7:20 PM, Gavin Andresen <gavinandresen at gmail.com> wrote:
> If the use case is:  I give the Foundation a "here's where to pay my salary"
> PaymentRequest, maybe with several Outputs each having a different xpubkey,
> then it seems to me the Foundation's wallet software should take care of
> iterating.

Absolutely.  This is a key address-non-reuse case we really need to
solve.  Miner payouts, BitPay salary payouts, etc. all use a
statically provided, manually changed address.

Rotating through multiple outputs is a stopgap -- but IMO a useful
one.  HD wallets will solve this in a better way, but existing randkey
systems will be around for a long time.

--
Jeff Garzik
Bitcoin core developer and open source evangelist