[Bitcoin-development] Merge avoidance and P2P connection encryption

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Fri Dec 13 17:26:59 UTC 2013

> Why would there be an iteration count? The payer would handle that,
> wouldn't they?

I'm thinking about a use case I hope will become common next year -
pastebin style hosting sites for payment requests. Like, if I as a regular
end user wish to use the payment protocol, I could just upload a (possibly
signed) payment request to:

payr.com/a62gahZ

or whatever, and then payr.com can take care of incrementing the iteration
count on each download of my file. That's why it's useful for it to be
unsigned.

> If the use case is:  I give the Foundation a "here's where to pay my
> salary" PaymentRequest, maybe with several Outputs each having a different
> xpubkey, then it seems to me the Foundation's wallet software should take
> care of iterating.

Absolutely. The two use cases can both be supported. You could give
iteration ranges, for instance, if you want to specify expiry in terms of
number of payments rather than time.