[Bitcoin-development] Fees UI warning

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Mon Dec 16 18:28:08 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Drak <drak at zikula.org> wrote:

> It just occurs to me this kind of sad story could be averted if wallets
> implemented a confirmation box if the fee amount seems crazy - for example,
> if it's >10x what the default fee should be, or if it's greater than x% of
> the sending amount.

Most good wallets have UI's designed to be safe. Unfortunately this guy was
using brainwallet.org which is by no means a "good" wallet in that sense
(it's not really even a wallet app at all)

I think most of us have expressed displeasure at the existence of this site
before, and I once even asked the guy to stop running it, but he refused.
It's an extremely sharp tool which makes it easy to cut yourself, except it
doesn't look dangerous, it looks like ordinary software designed for
ordinary people.

I don't know how to solve this. Badly designed software that looks
appealing will always be a danger.