[Bitcoin-development] [unSYSTEM] DarkWallet Best Practices

Drak drak at zikula.org
Thu Dec 19 18:05:51 UTC 2013

How does signing the commit message itself help at all since it just signs
the commit message, not the content of the commit. You could commit some
code then I. Then I squash my commits into yours and use your commit
message. You could also include the previous commit hash in your commit
message.

But correct me if I am wrong, but that would be difficult (if not
impossible) to verify once you get into merging code since the patch can be
merged in at another point in history entirely.. and still doesn't work
because I can still squash commits into yours. I don't see how it can work
at all unless I am missing something obvious (which I fear I may be?).

I also don't believe Linus is talking just from the perspective of how the
kernel project works. The integrity of a git repository is maintained by
the hash chaining and by the distributed nature of the repository. If
someone hacked github and changed the history of the tree, the next time
you tried to push his code up it would fail because the history had changed
- tampering is immediately obvious in git.

Regards,

Drak