[Bitcoin-development] Merge mining

rob.golding at astutium.com rob.golding at astutium.com
Tue Dec 31 07:38:26 UTC 2013

> But there's so much 'dry powder' out there (GPUs), I wonder if *not*
> supporting merge-mining is any better? At least the attacker has to do
> some unique PoW, so you hope it's costing them something.

With lots of people having access to 100TH+ there's not really much
'cost' to doing a 51% attack on an alt-coin beyond a short-term
diversion away from 'profitable' mining.

At least by supporting merged mining, more miners are likely to
'support' multiple coin types, thus making a 51% attack from an
individual/group less straightforward.

>> The rational decision for a non-scam altcoin, is to take advantage of
>> merged mining to get as much security as possible.

Exactly.

Rob