[Bitcoin-development] Dedicated server for bitcoin.org, your thoughts?

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Tue Dec 31 13:59:47 UTC 2013

Given that hardly anyone checks the signatures, it's fair to say downloads
aren't protected by anything at the moment. SSL for downloads can only
raise the bar, never lower it, and if the NSA want to kick off the process
of revoking some of the big CA's then I'm game (assuming anyone detects it
of course) :)

Anyway, nobody is dragging feet, the problem is right now we get what is
effectively a huge free subsidy from github and SourceForge for site
hosting. The cost is no SSL. So getting SSL would require that "we" pay for
it ourselves, but the primary method we have for funding public
goods/infrastructure (the Foundation) which is the subject of various
conspiracy theories. Jeremy has made a generous offer further up the
thread, the issue being I guess none of us know how much traffic we
actually get :( I remember suggesting that we whack Google Analytics or
some other statistics package on when the new website design was done and
that was rejected for similar reasons ("organisations are bad").

So we are in a position where we get a subsidy of large but unknown size
from various existing US corporations, but moving to different ones is
controversial, hence no progress :)