[Bitcoin-development] Draft BIP for Bloom filtering

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Wed Jan 16 10:43:55 UTC 2013

Matts latest code has been tested by Andreas and seems to work
correctly. He had to extend the client a bit to refresh the filter
every 25k blocks because even with the extra flag, eventually the
filter degrades into uselessness, but it did still improve the
situation quite a bit.

Because it's unit tested, been reviewed by me several times, has an
interoperable implementation that has also been tested by Andreas in a
build of his smartphone app,  I'm going to ACK the current code and
request that it be merged in to 0.8. What do you say Gavin?

The next step after that would be profiling. It's a big performance
improvement for SPV clients already, but not as much as I anticipated.
I suspect there's a simple bottleneck or missed optimization
somewhere. But that can obviously come post-0.8