[Bitcoin-development] SPV bitcoind? (was: Introducing BitcoinKit.framework)

Michael Gronager gronager at mac.com
Wed Jul 17 14:31:52 UTC 2013

Hi Wendell,

What Peter describes (a hash of the current set of UTXOs as part of the coinbase) is already implemented in libcoin, on which you can easily build both a bitcoind and any client. Libcoin is a library originally based on the satoshi client, and as such it is compatible/replacable with "master".

Have a look at github.com/libcoin/libcoin and look in the BlockChain.h/cpp and the MerkleTrie classes then you can see how it works.

What is missing from libcoin is a scheme to bootstrap the hash of UTXOs, there is some stub code for a p2pool like mining scheme ensuring several UTXO hashes every 10 minutes, but I will not have time to finalize it the first few months - anyone are of course welcome to help out ;)

Michael