[Bitcoin-development] SPV bitcoind?

Andreas Schildbach andreas at schildbach.de
Wed Jul 17 14:32:27 UTC 2013

Android apps do whatever they are programmed to do. They become active
when the user installs and inactive when they are uninstalled.
Inbetween, they are not limited in runtime.

That said, the current programming is that when receiving a block, it
stays connected for at least ~2 more minutes. This generally allows the
chain to catch up while at the same time avoiding endless battery drain
because something gets stuck. Upon sending or receiving of a
transaction, it stays connected for at least ~8 more minutes, because it
is likely the wallet will see more activity.

Additionally, on the send and request coins screens and the network
monitor it stays connected for as long as the screen is on and the app
in the foreground (= resumed state).