[Bitcoin-development] HTTP REST API for bitcoind

Michael Gronager gronager at mac.com
Tue Jul 23 09:53:07 UTC 2013

> The only way to do this safely at an SPV security assumption, is by
> having an address-indexed committed merkle UTXO-set tree, like the
> one proposed by Alan Reiner, and being implemented by Mark
> Friedenback. I know Michael Gronager has something similar implemented,
> but I don't know whether it is script-indexed.

The MerkleTrie I have in libcoin is indexed on UTXOs only. However, adding
an extra index for scripts would be pretty easy (half day of coding), or even having the two merged into one index.

The burden imposed on validating nodes for keeping such an index is really minimal. When using the UTXO MerkleTrie I switch off the sqlite index of these and vise versa, so there are hardly any measurable timing difference.

However, the MerkleTrie index is currently re-build on startup (which takes ~30 sec on my laptop), keeping it synced with disk would be optimal and in the long run necessary as even the UTXO set will grow over time.