[Bitcoin-development] Proposal: soft-fork to make anyone-can-spend outputs unspendable for 100 blocks

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at bitpay.com
Tue Jun 4 14:12:44 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 5:45 PM, Adam Back <adam at cypherspace.org> wrote:
> d) some new standardized spend to fees (only miners can claim).

> so if I understand what you proposed d) seems like a useful concept if that
> is not currently possible.  eg alternatively could we not just propose a
> standard recognized address that clearly no-one knows the EC discrete log
> of?

I'm one of the people experimenting in this area.  I've long argued
that a zero-output transaction should be permitted -- 100% miner fee
-- as an elegant proof of sacrifice.  Unfortunately that requires a
hard fork.  Also, for most people, it seems likely that a change
transaction would be generated.  That, then, would generate an
already-standard transaction, where inputs > outputs.

--
Jeff Garzik
Senior Software Engineer and open source evangelist