[Bitcoin-development] Proposal: soft-fork to make anyone-can-spend outputs unspendable for 100 blocks

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Thu Jun 6 19:14:17 UTC 2013

On Saturday, June 01, 2013 7:30:36 PM Peter Todd wrote:
> scriptPubKey: <data> OP_TRUE

> Along with that change anyone-can-spend outputs should be make IsStandard()
> so they will be relayed.

Data does not belong in the blockchain. People running nodes have all
implicitly agreed to store the blocks for financial purposes, and storing data
is a violation of that social contract. Proof-of-stake may be arguably
financial, but I'm sure there must be a way to do it without spamming people
against their consent.

> The alternative is sacrifices to unspendable outputs, which is very
> undesirable compared to sending the money to miners to further
> strengthen the security of the network.

The alternative is to make other standard outputs unable to store data as
well.

Luke