[Bitcoin-development] Proposal: soft-fork to make anyone-can-spend outputs unspendable for 100 blocks

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 22:10:11 UTC 2013

On 6 June 2013 23:48, Luke-Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, June 06, 2013 8:16:40 PM Andreas M. Antonopoulos wrote:
> > > This doesn't work like you might think: first of all, the fees today
> are
> > > greatly subsidized - the actual cost to store data in the blockchain is
> > > much higher than most storage solutions. Secondly, only the miner
> receives
> > > the fees, not the majority of nodes which have to bear the burden of
> the
> > > data. That is, the fee system is setup as an antispam/deterrant, not as
> > > payment for
> > > storage.
> >
> > There's a difference between storing the content itself, and storing
> just a
> > hash to content (which however is not spendable payment). I undertand why
> > content itself doesn't belong. But it goes too far to say that only
> > payments should be allowed.
>
> Because payments are the only thing everyone using Bitcoin has agreed to
> use
> the blockchain for. Furthermore, there is no *reason* to store
> non-payments in
> the blockchain. If there was in fact such a use case, things might be
> arguable
> - but there isn't any I'm aware of.

Two quotes satoshi:

"Piling every proof-of-work quorum system in the world into one dataset
doesn't scale."

and

"I like Hal Finney's idea for user-friendly timestamping.  Convert the hash
of a file to a bitcoin address and send 0.01 to it"

This leads me to believe, that while bitcoin should not be over used as a
time stamp server, there could be a balance reached for casual time stamp
recording as part of satoshi's concept.

What we call "spam" is to a degree subjective, and I think not always
obvious, tho in some cases it clearly is.