[Bitcoin-development] Optional "wallet-linkable" address format - Payment Protocol

Timo Hanke timo.hanke at web.de
Wed Jun 19 14:25:10 UTC 2013

Since you mention to use this in conjunction with the payment protocol,
note the following subtlety. Suppose the payer has to paid this address
called "destination":
>    Standard Address ~ Base58(0x00 || hash160(PubKeyParent * Multiplier[i]) ||
> checksum)
Also suppose the payee has spent the output, i.e. the pubkey
corresponding to "destination", which is PubKeyParent * Multiplier[i],
is publicly known. Then anybody can (in retrospect) create arbitrary
many pairs {PublicKeyParent, Multiplier} (in particular different
PublicKeyParent) that lead to the same "destination".

Depending on what you have in mind that the transaction should "prove"
regarding its actual receiver or regarding the receiver's PubKeyParent,
this could be an unwanted feature (or it could be just fine). If it is
unwanted then I suggest replacing
PubKeyParent * Multiplier[i] by
PubKeyParent * HMAC(Multiplier[i],PubKeyParent)
which eliminates from the destination all ambiguity about PubKeyParent.

This modification would not be directly compatible with BIP32 anymore
(unfortunately), but seems to be better suited for use in conjunction
with a payment protocol.

Timo

--
Timo Hanke
PGP 1EFF 69BC 6FB7 8744 14DB  631D 1BB5 D6E3 AB96 7DA8