[Bitcoin-development] Missing fRelayTxes in version

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Thu Jun 20 07:36:40 UTC 2013

Sure but why not do that when there's an actual new field to add? Does
anyone have a proposal for a feature that needs a new version field at the
moment? There's no point changing the protocol now unless there's actually
a new field to add.

Anyway I still don't see why anyone cares about this issue. The Bitcoin
protocol does not and never has required that all messages have a fixed
number of fields per version. Any parser written on the assumption it did
was just buggy. Look at how tx messages are relayed for the most obvious
example of that pattern in action - it's actually the raw byte stream
that's stored and relayed to ensure that fields added in new versions
aren't dropped during round-tripping. Old versions are supposed to preserve
fields from the future.