[Bitcoin-development] Optional "wallet-linkable" address format - Payment Protocol

Alan Reiner etotheipi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 15:29:50 UTC 2013

Although I'd still prefer my original request, I get much of what I want
from your guys' recommendation.  It complicates the wallet design,
because it requires tracking and associating a matrix of addresses for
each wallet, instead of a single linear list.  But if this is what it's
going to take then I will go along.

Right now BIP 32 defines, m/i'/j/k, where j=0 is the "external" chain
used for distributing addresses, and j=1 is the "internal" chain for
sending change.  The CONOPs (concept of operations) for the extended
wallet would be like Jeremy described:

- Chains with j>=2 would be independent address chains carved out for
individuals relationships
- Add wallet code to individually associate each j-value with a
particular identity
- Update the wallet code to pool all the addresses in all j-chains when
calculating the balance of the wallet and/or creating transactions
- When choosing to generically "Receive Bitcoins", will pick the next
address from the j=0 chain
- Will have to add extra function to "Receive Bitcoins" button to allow
creation of new contacts/identities.
- Change will always go to the next address in j=1, no matter which
chains are used to provide inputs.
- Add code to figure out lookaheads for each alternate chain.  Not just
each chain, but looking ahead a couple chains, too.  Luckily, the
lookahead doesn't have to be very big for chains j>=1
- Add an interface to display and choose the different chains in your
wallet, and export the pubkey&chaincode in some soon-to-be-standardized
format.
- Add code and interface to receive and track alternate j-chains from
other clients/users, and maintain those.  Should we try associating
incoming and outgoing chains?  What happens if they do it wrong?  Meh...

Just as one final swipe at this idea, you can see that I gotta do quite
a bit of work to support the multi-chain idea, and adds a little extra
burden on the user to maintain the organization of the wallet.  This
would all be totally unnecessary with a simple alternate encoding.
Granted, I think the multi-chain idea is good, and one that I will
probably implement anyway, but it seems like overkill in terms of
developer complexity, and interface complexity to achieve something much
simpler.  Developers of much simpler/lightweight clients would probably
find this prohibitive.

On another note:  I thought we weren't encouraging automatic payments
without requesting from the other party...?  It makes me uneasy, but it
sounds like group thought has converged on that being acceptable.  I
bring it up, because there are situations where it makes sense, but it
sounds unsafe for general users.   Alice will give Bob his own chain for
sending Alice money, then a year later Bob will send money automatically
to Alice not realizing that the wallet was lost, retired or
compromised.  It's not that Bob can't ask for a new address, it's that
if the interface says "Send Money to Alice", that looks legit enough
that Bob may not feel it necessary to check with Alice first.   That's
more of an interface issue though.  We can add a warning to "check with
the recipient that they still have access to wallet 3cQ398x", etc.   But
I just know someone is going to lose money anyway...

-Alan