[Bitcoin-development] Proposal: MultiBit as default desktop client on bitcoin.org

Jim jim618 at fastmail.co.uk
Thu Jun 27 17:10:53 UTC 2013

Hello Everybody,

Over the last few months we have been steadily adding
functionality to MultiBit including:
+ encrypted wallets
+ sign and verify message
+ stability improvements and bug fixes.

As a result of these efforts I think MultiBit is now
suitable for the entry level Bitcoin user. I propose
that we put MultiBit as the default desktop client
on the bitcoin.org "Choose your wallet" page.

I think a typical new user comes to bitcoin.org from a
google search or a Bitcoin news article. We want them to
peruse the bitcoin.org site and try out a wallet. They
should be able to get MultiBit up and running in a tea break.
Then perhaps they get a colleague to send them some bitcoin
from an Android phone by zapping a QR code.

We say: "Welcome to the Bitcoin economy !"

There is plenty MultiBit cannot do of course. However if
in the first ten minutes we get the new user interested
there is a good chance they will go on to explore other
Bitcoin wallets and solutions.

Let me know if you think this is a good idea (or not!)
and if you have any questions.

Jim

https://multibit.org