[Bitcoin-development] Warning: many 0.7 nodes break on large number of tx/block; fork risk

Peter Todd pete at petertodd.org
Tue Mar 12 09:57:49 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:10:15AM +0100, Mike Hearn wrote:
> There are no bounds on the memory pool size. If too many transactions
> enter the pool then nodes will start to die with OOM failures.
> Therefore it is possible that we have a very limited amount of time
> until nodes start dying en-masse.

Note that nodes dying en-mass due to OOM failures is a relatively benign
failure mode as the point as which any particular node would die is
uncorrelated with other nodes - it won't cause a network fork.

Implementing a simple and stupid "while [ true ] do ; ./bitcoind ; done"
loop combined with ulimit to keep total memory usage to something sane
is a perfectly acceptable hack until proper mempool code with expiration
can be written. Gavin can talk more about his ideas in that regard.

--
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org