[Bitcoin-development] Warning: many 0.7 nodes break on large number of tx/block; fork risk

Michael Gronager gronager at ceptacle.com
Tue Mar 12 10:13:09 UTC 2013

Yes, 0.7 (yes 0.7!) was not sufficiently tested it had an undocumented and unknown criteria for block rejection, hence the upgrade went wrong.

More space in the block is needed indeed, but the real problem you are describing is actually not missing space in the block, but proper handling of mem-pool transactions. They should be pruned on two criteria:

1. if they gets to old >24hr
2. if the client is running out of space, then the oldest should probably be pruned

clients are anyway keeping, and re-relaying, their own transactions and hence it would mean only little, and only little for clients. Dropping free / old transaction is a much a better behavior than dying... Even a scheme where the client dropped all or random mempool txes would be a tolerable way of handling things (dropping all is similar to a restart, except for no user intervention).

Following that, increase the soft and hard limit to 1 and eg 10MB, but miners should be the last to upgrade.

/M

On 12/03/2013, at 10:10, Mike Hearn <mike at plan99.net> wrote:

> [...]
> enter the pool then nodes will start to die with OOM failures.
> Therefore it is possible that we have a very limited amount of time
> until nodes start dying en-masse.
> Even if nodes do not die, users have no way to find out what the
> current highest fees/bids for block space are, nor any way to change
> the fee on sent transactions.
> Therefore Bitcoin will shortly start to break for the majority of
> users who don't have a deep understanding of the system.
>

> If all the above statements are true, we appear to be painted into a
> corner - can't roll forward and can't roll back, with very limited
> time to come up with a solution. I see only a small number of
> alternatives:
>
> 1) Start aggressively trying to block or down-prioritize SatoshiDice
> transactions at the network level, to buy time and try to avoid
> mempool exhaustion. I don't know a good way to do this, although it
> appears that virtually all their traffic is actually coming via
> blockchain.infos My Wallet service. During their last outage block
> sizes seemed to drop to around 50kb. Alternatively, ask SD to
> temporarily suspend their service (this seems like a long shot).
>
> 2) Perform a crash hard fork as soon as possible, probably with no
> changes in it except a new block size limit. Question - try to lift
> the 1mb limit at the same time, or not?
>

> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 2:01 AM, Pieter Wuille <pieter.wuille at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello again,
>>
>> block 000000000000015c50b165fcdd33556f8b44800c5298943ac70b112df480c023
>> (height=225430) seems indeed to have cause pre-0.8 and 0.8 nodes to fork (at
>> least mostly). Both chains are being mined on - the 0.8 one growing faster.
>>
>> After some emergency discussion on #bitcoin-dev, it seems best to try to get
>> the majority mining power back on the "old" chain, that is, the one which
>> 0.7 accepts (with
>> 00000000000001c108384350f74090433e7fcf79a606b8e797f065b130575932 at height
>> 225430). That is the only chain every client out there will accept. BTC
>> Guild is switching to 0.7, so majority should abandon the 0.8 chain soon.
>>
>> Short advice: if you're a miner, please revert to 0.7 until we at least
>> understand exactly what causes this. If you're a merchant, and are on 0.8,
>> stop processing transactions until both sides have switched to the same
>> chain again. We'll see how to proceed afterwards.
>>
>> --
>> Pieter
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 1:18 AM, Pieter Wuille <pieter.wuille at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> Í've just seen many reports of 0.7 nodes getting stuck around block
>>> 225430, due to running out of lock entries in the BDB database. 0.8 nodes do
>>> not seem to have a problem.
>>>
>>> In any case, if you do not have this block:
>>>
>>>  2013-03-12 00:00:10 SetBestChain: new
>>> best=000000000000015aab28064a4c521d6a5325ff6e251e8ca2edfdfe6cb5bf832c
>>> height=225439  work=853779625563004076992  tx=14269257  date=2013-03-11