[Bitcoin-development] minor bitcoin-qt gripes moving BTC off specific key

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Tue May 7 16:06:17 UTC 2013

At ZKS other than freedom network (ToR precursor) we had psueudonyms
associated with cookie managers.  The idea was you create pseudonyms for
different purposes to segregate your online linkability.

	medical
	casual browsing
	social media
	private
	work
	true name

Seems to me that people are always going to make mistakes with individual
keys, even if the feature were there and accidentally link all their coin
sources together.  I presume people saw the analysis of the slush related
25k BTC theft, even seemingly the thief made possible slips while trying
presumably not to:

http://anonymity-in-bitcoin.blogspot.com/2011/07/bitcoin-is-not-anonymous.html

Does the client have any privacy algorithm (to minimise coin source cross
linking) to reach a given payment?

eg consider say I use social media, with a screen name; I collect reddit
tips etc; I pay them out to others, or use them to buy virtual goods
associated with the same purpose.

It would be rather useful to help people achieve that, there is already the
ability to create addresses, label them.  But I think just for the GUI to
allow you to control which address the payment is from would be enough, it
doesnt seem like such a complicated concept.  And if people dont care, they
only need create one address.

Technically ZKS wasnt anonymous networking like ToR but pseudonymous
networking.  Multiple wallets for different unlinked purposes would be
somewhat analogous to ZKS freedom pseudonymous networking & cookie-jar.
Because of the pseudonymity in ZKS misbehavers could be blocked by exit
nodes based on pseudonym.  Of course they can always create a new pseudonym
but then they lose their accumulated reputation.  You can even make people
pay for pseudonyms, as I recall users got 5 free pseudonyms but had to pay
for more.

(Though I have to admit the concensus after some years at ZKS was most end
users didnt understand what a pseudonym was!  They just wanted to be
"private" and have the computer magically solve it for them.)

If you want to simplify maybe you could consider normal (linked to AML
trading accounts, orders for physically delivered goods etc), and "private"
analogus to the private browsing mode in various browsers.  Maybe beyond 2
is an advanced feature but still available.

Adam