[Bitcoin-development] An initial replace-by-fee implementation is now available

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Thu May 9 12:07:23 UTC 2013

I have to say I do not think you want to have it be random as to who gets
paid (by having conflicting double spends floating around with different
payee & change addresses all from the same sending address.)

About current defacto no replacement: it is the best bitcoin currently has,
and it has value, with it you need to do a net-split to attack eg
1-confirmation, and this proposal weakens it.  Net-splits are possible but
not trivial.  This proposal moves them into spec - ie free.

About privacy: I think you are going to inherently disclose which is the
change address, because you will decrease the change when you increase the
fee.  There is no coin management in the client, and as far as I saw so far,
no privacy management of which coins to reduce coin cross linking.  Who's to
say the client has 100s of times as many coins as the payment.

If people dont want to reveal which is change and which payment, they need
to put a big enough fee up front based on a margin over prevailing fee
statistics.

It would also be better to try to get the fee right first time than to create
more traffic revising it due to experience.  Though the ability to revise
the fee IFF the best effort fee doesnt work empirically after a couple of
blocks seems like a good feature.  (But not with revised recipient/change
addresses.

Also if the bids are too flexibly different how do you stop both bids being
processed (eg one in a block, the next in the next block).

Adam