[Bitcoin-development] merged mining hashcash & bitcoin (Re: Coinbase TxOut Hashcash)

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Tue May 14 17:25:36 UTC 2013

> I've been thinking about a decentralized way to create an anonymous
> identity

This is the fidelity bond/anonymous passport idea that has been kicked
around in the forums quite a few times. I mentioned it on the tor-talk once
as a solution to the problem that you cannot create Google accounts via Tor
without a phone number. It's a good idea but not new. I have encouraged
people to implement a server that does it and then some integration for
MediaWiki, Wordpress or phpBB, as they're both quite common software that
gets a lot of spam and abuse. For instance we could use it on our own wiki
instead of paying the wiki operator (does anyone know what happens to those
funds by the way?).

You don't need GPG or anything like that - the transactions that spend to
fees also contain pubkeys in the inputs, which you own the private keys
for. So you can sign a challenge nonce from the server to prove ownership
of the "passport"/fidelity bond.