[Bitcoin-development] blind symmetric commitment for stronger byzantine voting resilience (Re: bitcoin taint & unilateral revocability)

Caleb James DeLisle calebdelisle at lavabit.com
Wed May 15 12:40:59 UTC 2013

I can't see this working, if 51% of the mining power doesn't like your
coins, when you create the commitment they will reject it.
If the commitment is opaque at the time of inclusion in the block then
I will create multiple commitments and then after revealing the
commitment and spend to you I will reveal the earlier commitment which
commits the coins to an address I control.

On the topic of reversibility, I suspect in the long term the lack of
chargebacks will create issues as criminals learn that for the first
time in history, kidnap & ransom is effective. Suffice to say after the
first >= $10mn kidnapping-for-bitcoin heist, governments will be forced
to decide how they view the system. It will likely fall somewhere between
"arrest/question anyone identified holding tainted coins" to something
nonsensical and reactionary like "blocking" bitcoin as Iran does TOR.

Thanks,
Caleb