[Bitcoin-development] is there a way to do bitcoin-staging?

Peter Vessenes peter at coinlab.com
Sun May 19 15:08:59 UTC 2013

I think this is a very interesting idea. As Bitcoiners, we often stuff
things into the 'alt chain' bucket in our heads; I wonder if this idea
works better as a curing period, essentially an extended version of the
current 100 block wait for mined coins.

An alternate setup comes to mind; I can imagine this working as a sort of
gift economy; people pay real BTC for merge-mined "beta BTC" as a way to
support development. There is no doubt a more elegant and practical
solution that might have different economic and crypto characteristics.

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 6:23 AM, Adam Back <adam at cypherspace.org> wrote:

> Is there a way to experiment with new features - eg committed coins - that
> doesnt involve an altcoin in the conventional sense, and also doesnt impose
> a big testing burden on bitcoin main which is a security and testing risk?
>
> eg lets say some form of merged mine where an alt-coin lets call it
> bitcoin-staging?  where the coins are the same coins as on bitcoin, the
> mining power goes to bitcoin main, so some aspect of merged mining, but no
> native mining.  and ability to use bitcoins by locking them on bitcoin to
> move them to bitcoin-staging and vice versa (ie exchange them 1:1
> cryptographically, no exchange).
>
> Did anyone figure anything like that out?  Seems vaguely doable and
> maybe productive.  The only people with coins at risk of defects in a new
> feature, or insufficiently well tested novel feature are people with coins
> on bitcoin-staging.
>
> Yes I know about bitcoin-test this is not it.  I mean a real live system,
> with live value, but that is intentionally wanting to avoid forking
> bitcoins
> parameters, nor value, nor mindshare dillution.  In this way something
> potentially interesting could move forward faster, and be les risky to the
> main bitcoin network.  eg particularly defenses against
>
> It might also be a more real world test test (after bitcoin-test) because
> some parameters are different on test, and some issues may not manifest
> without more real activity.
>
> Then also bitcoin could cherry pick interesting patches and merge them
> after
> extensive real-world validation with real-money at stake (by early
> adopters).
>
> Adam

Are you coming to Bitcoin2013 <http://bitcoin2013.com> in San Jose In May?

[image: CoinLab Logo]PETER VESSENES
CEO

*peter at coinlab.com * /  206.486.6856  / SKYPE: vessenes
71 COLUMBIA ST / SUITE 300  /  SEATTLE, WA 98104