[Bitcoin-development] is there a way to do bitcoin-staging?

Alan Reiner etotheipi at gmail.com
Mon May 20 06:34:06 UTC 2013

This is exactly what I was planning to do with the inappropriately-named
"Ultimate Blockchain Compression
<https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88208.0>".  I wanted to
reorganize the blockchain data into an authenticated tree, indexed by
TxOut script (address), instead of tx-hash.  Much like a regular merkle
tree, you can store the root in the block header, and communicate
branches of that tree to nodes, to prove inclusion (and exclusion!) of
TxOuts for any given script/address.  Additionally, you can include at
each node, the sum of BTC in all nodes below it, which offers some other
nice benefits.

I think this idea is has epic upside-potential for bitcoin if it works
-- even "SPV" nodes could query their unspent TxOut list for their
wallet from any untrusted peer and compare the result directly to the
blockheaders/POW.  Given nothing but the headers, you can verify the
balance of 100 addresses with 250 kB.  But also epic failure-potential
in terms of feasibility and cost-to-benefit for miners.  For it to
really work, it's gotta be part of the mainnet validation rules, but no
way it can be evaluated realistically without some kind of "staging".
Therefore, I had proposed that this be merge-mined on a "meta-chain"
first...get a bunch of miners on board to agree to merge mine and see it
in action.  It seemed like a perfectly non-disruptive way to prove out a
particular idea before we actually consider making a protocol change
that significant.  Even if it stayed on its own meta chain, as long as
there is some significant amount of hashpower working on it, it can
still be a useful tool.

Unfortunately, my experience with merged mining is minimal, so I'm still
not clear how feasible/reliable it is as an alternative to direct
blockchain integration.  That's a discussion I'd like to have.

-Alan