[Bitcoin-development] Message Signing based authentication

slush slush at centrum.cz
Sat Nov 2 21:57:50 UTC 2013

Glad to see that there are more and more people wanting to replace
passwords with digital signatures.

Although such method has been already used on other websites like Eligius
or bitcoin-otc, I dont think theres any standard way to doing so yet.

Two comments to your proposal:

A) message-to-be-signed need to be carefully composed to be both structured
and human readable. It should contain at least:
Desired username/identity handler
Server identifier (url)
Timestamp to prevent replay attack
Server challenge

Then the user can see what he's signing, instead of signing some binary
blob which can contain some evil data.

B)
Same structured data should be a part of html page in some header tag,
ideally signed by server certificate to confirm that the request is valid.
Then the login request can be processed by machine automatically, without a
need of copy&paste by a user.

Slush