[Bitcoin-development] Message Signing based authentication

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 03:38:59 UTC 2013

On 2 November 2013 22:14, Johnathan Corgan <johnathan at corganlabs.com> wrote:

> On 11/01/2013 10:01 PM, bitcoingrant at gmx.com wrote:
>
> > Server provides a token for the client to sign.
>
> Anyone else concerned about signing an arbitrary string?  Could be a
> hash of $EVIL_DOCUMENT, no?  I'd want to XOR the string with my own
> randomly generated nonce, sign that, then pass the nonce and the
> signature back to the server for verification.

Good point.

There are actually times you may want to sign a transaction.

There's a little know HTTP code, 402, "Payment Required".  We should really
start using this at some point ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes

Reserved for future use.[2] The original intention was that this code might
be used as part of some form of digital cash or micropayment scheme, but
that has not happened, and this code is not usually used. As an example of
its use, however, Apple's defunct MobileMe service generated a 402 error if
the MobileMe account was delinquent.[citation needed] In addition, YouTube
uses this status if a particular IP address has made excessive requests,
and requires the person to enter a CAPTCHA.