[Bitcoin-development] On the optimal block size and why transaction fees are 8 times too low (or transactions 8 times too big)

Pieter Wuille pieter.wuille at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 15:00:01 UTC 2013

Hi,

(I didn't have time to read your e-mail entirely yet, I'll do so later)

I believe that C. Decker's paper used measurements for propagation
delays for blocks 180000-190000, which happened between may and juli
2012. The latest bitcoind/bitcoin-qt release at the time was 0.6.3.

I'm sure the general patterns are valid, but if you're relying on
actual speed numbers, I believe they may be very different now. I
don't have numbers of course, but at least the changes 0.8 should
impact propagation significantly. Some changes merged in git head (to
become 0.9) could improve things further. If we're talking about
long-term scalability, we should base decisions on the best technology
available, at least.

--
Pieter