[Bitcoin-development] On the optimal block size and why transaction fees are 8 times too low (or transactions 8 times too big)

Michael Gronager gronager at ceptacle.com
Thu Nov 7 15:53:12 UTC 2013

Mike, Pieter,

My writeup outlines a framework for good approximation to a minimal fee
as well as the optimal block size. The model has basically just one
parameter, the propagation time - if that goes down, so can the fee.
(Well there is another parameter too, the time btw blocks, which
currently with the current hash acceleration is more like 400 than 600).

Also seconding Mike, that, yes, it would be tremendously useful to track
propagation times and other things on the network to help us all decide
the proper settings.

Finally, it would be great if someone from academia would grab the ball
and do the full probabilistic analysis based on my outline.

Michael