[Bitcoin-development] we can all relax now

Daniel Lidstrom lidstrom83 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 18:28:52 UTC 2013

Hey Peter, something seems wrong with your above analysis: I think a miner
would withhold his block not because it leads to a greater probability of
winning the next one, but because it increases his expected revenue.

Suppose a cabal with fraction q of the total hashing power is n blocks
ahead on a secret branch of that has mined r_tot coins, and let r_next be
its next block's reward.  If the cabal chooses not to broadcast its secret
chain until at least the next block, its expected revenue after the next
block is found is

(1 - (1-q)^(n+1))*(r_tot + r_next)

If it does broadcast, its expected revenue after the next block is found is

r_tot + q * r_next

If the cabal seeks only to maximize immediate revenue, then after a bit of
algebra we find that it will withhold its chain if

q > 1 - ( 1 + r_tot / r_next )^(-1/n)

So if the cabal has just mined his first block off of the public chain,
i.e. n = 1, and if the block reward is relatively stable, i.e. r_next =
r_tot, then it needs q > 50% to profitably withhold, not the 29.2% you
calculated.

>From this formula we can also see that if the miner wins the race and
withholds again, then he must grow q to compensate for the increase in
r_tot, and any decrease in n.  So generally publication becomes
increasingly in the cabal's interest, and secret chains will tend not to
grow too large (intuition tells me that simulations using the above formula
should bear this out).

This seem correct to you?