[Bitcoin-development] Even simpler minimum fee calculation formula: f > bounty*fork_rate/average_blocksize

Michael Gronager gronager at ceptacle.com
Wed Nov 13 20:32:59 UTC 2013

Hi John,

Thanks for the feedback - comments below:

>> However, it occurred to me that things can in fact be calculated even
>> simpler: The measured fork rate will mean out all the different pool
>> sizes and network latencies and will as such provide a simple number we
>> can use to estimate the minimum fee.
>
> Are you sure about that? You are assuming linearity where none may exist.

Well, my work from last week and now is a model. A model enabling you to
easily calculate the minimum fee and as a miner which transaction to
include to not shoot yourselves in the foot risking to create an
orphaned block.

The assumption that there is a linearity between block size and latency
is shown pretty well in the paper by Decker et. al (see last weeks
post). What I add this week is mainly more up to date numbers and a
formula dependent only of data that is easy to measure. (fork rate and
block size).

> Are those stats accurate? Have any pool operators at least confirmed that the
> orphaned blocks that blockchain.info reports match their own records?

Probably not - but the are at least a minimum - in case they are higher,
the fee should go up further.

> My gut feeling is to relay all orphaned blocks. We know that with a high
> investment and sybil attack as blockchain.info has done you can have better
> awareness of orphaned blocks than someone without those resources. If having
> that awareness is ever a profitable thing we have both created an incentive to
> sybil attack the network and we have linked profitability to high up-front
> capital investments.

Another way to measure latency is to setup a node that only listens but
do not relay data. By measuring the propagation of blocks of different
size as well as transactions, you can get a propagation distribution and
from that an average. However, the relevant propagation time is the one
between the pools/(single miners). Which you cannot assess using this
scheme - however, it would be nice to compare it to the orphan block scheme.

> With relayed orphans you could even have P2Pool enforce an optimal tx inclusion
> policy based on a statistical model by including proof of those orphans into
> the P2Pool share chain. P2Pool needs to take fees into account soon, but simply
> asking for blocks with the highest total fees or even highest fee/kb appears to
> be incomplete according to what your and Peter's analysis is suggesting.

Indeed, and nice... But note that it is never of benefit for the miner
to include a transaction with a fee of less than ~0.0004BTC - unless it
is linked to another transaction that pay an extra fee.

There have been a lot of assumptions on the fee size and generally it
has been linked to the bitcoin exchange rate. This analysis shows that
this is wrong. Also it shows that the scalability of bitcoin is directly
linked to the network and node latency (with the current latency it will
never beneficial for miners to include more than ~30k transactions in a
block or ~70 pr second resulting in ~10MB blocks).
However, halving the latency will double the capacity, down to the
minimum which is governed by the speed of light.