[Bitcoin-development] moving the default display to mbtc

Alan Reiner etotheipi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 20:01:49 UTC 2013

I highly recommend that if we make any move towards this, that the
software show verification in both/all units.

For instance, there should be 3 input fields, one for "BTC", one for
"mBTC" one for "uBTC".  As the user enters a value in one of the fields,
it would automatically update the other fields with the converted value
as they type.  This makes it really difficult to get it wrong... if
you're typing "10" into the BTC field, thinking it's mBTC, you'll see
10,000 mBTC showing up in the other box as you type.  Similarly, it
should display all units on all verification windows.  Users may also
use it for sanity checking conversion between units.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that this change is important in the long
run:  the current price makes Bitcoin *intimidating* to new users.  But
I'm also of the opinion that it's freakin' hard to change the base unit
in such an established system.  There is no easy way to do this that
doesn't cause more heartache than it's worth.  But it's possible if you
make it idiot-proof enough, and roll it out in the least inconvenient way.

-Alan