[Bitcoin-development] moving the default display to mbtc

Drak drak at zikula.org
Sat Nov 16 01:19:22 UTC 2013

On 16 November 2013 01:10, Luke-Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:

> On Saturday, November 16, 2013 12:41:56 AM Drak wrote:
> > So "a payment clears after one confirmation, but you might want to wait
> > until the payment has been confirmed n times".
> > Then at least you are not using the same word for two different meanings
> > and you're using stuff more familiar in popular lexicon.
> > I dont think it's helpful for users if we use the word "blocks".
>
> "Confirmations" in a numeric context isn't correct, though. We're using to
> it
> because we've been using Bitcoin so long, but to the average person they
> would
> expect it to mean something more than it is. If not referring to blocks,
> then
> perhaps "witnessed N times"?

If you are talking about user interface, I don't think you have to be
technically correct. It must make sense to the user.
A user cares about his balance, and did a payment "go through", and "did my
payment arrive/clear".

The UI is for their benefit.

> > For years, people had a problem with  "email address", instead using
> "email
> > number" but they got there eventually. Most people nowadays use "email
> > address"
> > So "payment address" or "bitcoin address" make better sense here when
> > qualified as a "<foo> address" and not just an "address"
> >
> > You could also call it "payment id", but I dont think "invoice id" since
> > no-one pays to an invoice id that's just a reference for a payment, not
> the
> > destination.
> >
> > People are very familiar with Paypal these days, and are familiar with
> > "paypal address" or their "paypal id" so again I think valid contenders
> are
> > "bitcoin address" or "bitcoin id".
>
> I think you might be demonstrating my point with regard to user confusion
> here. Bitcoin addresses are *not* like email addresses, paypal ids, etc.
> Bitcoin addresses aren't the destination - they're point to a destination
> (an
> account in a wallet), but they also represent information such as who is
> paying and what for - in other words, a specific invoice.

Maybe, but again from the user's perspective they pay someone, and they
receive money - just like you do with paypal using an email address.
The technical bits in the middle dont matter to the user and trying to crap
stuff in to be technically correct is just confusing to them.

The UI needs to be about the user and fit with his experience of the world.

Drak