[Bitcoin-development] bitcoind stops responding

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at bitpay.com
Tue Oct 1 01:26:59 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 11:01 PM, Warren Togami Jr. <wtogami at gmail.com> wrote:
> 0.8.2 apparently was the first Bitcoin version to support RPC keepalive.

No, this is not correct at all.  RPC keepalive was present in 0.7.0,
possibly earlier.

Come on, it took a 30 second 'git checkout' session to verify this.

> With the 4 RPC thread limit, four keepalive connections will exhaust all four and prevent further connections.

I was about to flame you with a "WTF is this fiction?" but it seems
true: 21eb5ada introduces this.

Unfortunately, it does so erroneously, introducing clearly buggy
behavior that did not exist with the thread-per-connection code that
provided keep-alive before commit 21eb5ada.

In my opinion, 21eb5ada half-changed the RPC code from
thread-per-connection to a worker-group model, without considering all
the consequences.

--
Jeff Garzik
Senior Software Engineer and open source evangelist