[Bitcoin-development] Identity protocol observation

Daniel Lidstrom lidstrom83 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 15:16:51 UTC 2013

Fair enough, though people still manage okay with phone numbers.  And a
decentralized naming system seems to come at great cost - with namecoin you
need the whole blockchain to resolve names without trust.  Strip out a bell
and whistle - meaningfulness and transferability of names - and you get a
simple, rudimentary (spam killing!) system that scales on any device.  I'll
only argue that it seems to be Good Enough *for the types of people who
might care about decentralized names*.  Probably a very small set :)

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 8:00 AM, Mike Hearn <mike at plan99.net> wrote:

> Interesting observation, thanks.
>
> I'd think any competent implementation of such an identity scheme would
> not involve end users directly handling randomized nonsense words, however.
> I always imagined a sacrifice as being a file that you make with a GUI tool
> and load into a browser extension.
>

> On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Daniel Lidstrom <lidstrom83 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> A couple more thoughts on this:
>>
>> 1) Both c and k can be kept if c is pronounced 'ch', giving ~10.9 bits
>> per phoneme.
>> 2) An extra phoneme (4 encode 43 bits total) gives room to put extra
>> information into the name, e.g. the first 5 bits could be input as the key
>> to a PRP that permutes the last 38 back to a standard encoding of a tx
>> location.  This would give the user 32 random names per sacrifice to choose
>> from, and 38 bits to encode its location in the blockchain, which is enough
>> for pretty large blocks.
>>
>> Sample 4 phoneme names:
>> ~milmoz-vyrnyx
>> ~mypnoz-fojzas
>> ~sawfex-bovlec
>> ~fidhut-guvgis
>> ~bobfej-jessuk
>> ~furcos-diwhuw
>> ~wokryx-wilrox
>> ~bygbyl-caggos
>> ~vewcyv-jyjsal
>> ~daxsaf-cywkul
>>
>> They're not that bad IMHO, especially if you get to pick a decent one
>> from a bunch.
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 3:35 AM, Daniel Lidstrom <lidstrom83 at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> The location of a tx in the blockchain can be encoded in
>>> n=log2(h)+log2(t) bits, where h is the block height, and t is the number of
>>> transactions in the block.  Currently h~250,000 and t~500, so n~27.  A CVC
>>> phoneme encodes ~10.7 bits *, so a transaction today can be located in the
>>> blockchain with 3 of these, e.g. reb-mizvig.  This is reasonably short,
>>> readable and memorable.
>>>
>>> The identity protocol Jeff Garzik is working on will link a public key
>>> fingerprint to a miner sacrifice transaction.  This tx could in turn be
>>> uniquely described with a short name as above.  Associating this name with
>>> the public key becomes secure once the tx is sufficiently buried in the
>>> blockchain.  In the identity protocol, lightweight clients check the
>>> validity of a sacrifice tx by checking that its merkle path is valid.  But
>>> this path encodes, via the ordering of the hashes at each level, the
>>> location of the transaction in the block, so the lightweight client can
>>> verify the sacrifice tx's short name using only the information he already
>>> has.
>>>
>>> Some more random names:
>>> vec-halhic
>>> wom-vizpyd