[Bitcoin-development] bitcoind stops responding

Gavin Andresen gavinandresen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 06:22:34 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 6:58 PM, slush <slush at centrum.cz> wrote:

> One process is asking getinfo every second as a fallback to possibly
> misconfigured blocknotify. It also calls getblocktemplate every 30 second.

getinfo does a bunch of stuff; with 0.9 you will be able to use
getbestblockhash instead.

> Second process is calling getinfo once a minute to check if bitcoind is
> working. If it don't receive a response in a minute, it kills bitcoind and
> starts it again.

If you just want to see if bitcoind is responding to RPC requests, then
'help getinfo' would do the trick without acquiring any locks.

RE: running into the maximum-of-4-keepalive-requests : simple workaround is
to run with -rpcthreads=11 (or however many keepalive connections you need
to support).  I agree that the rpc code should be smarter; making the last
rpc thread ignore keepalive and always disconnecting should be a fairly
simple patch, and "patches welcome."

Gavin Andresen