[Bitcoin-development] Bitcoin meets the Semantic Web....

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 11:27:49 UTC 2013

On 1 April 2013 09:59, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm working on porting crypto currencies to the semantic web.
>
> The advantages of this is that pages can then become machine readable on
> the web allowing new types of innovation and spreading bitcoin information
> to a wider audience.
>
> The first step that needs to be done is to create a "vocabulary" for
> bitcoin.
>
> What this means is like a dictionary of terms that can be put down in a
> machine readable standard (called RDF).
>
> I was wondering if anyone has worked on this before or if there is a human
> readable "glossary" for bitcoin that I could take text from?
>
> seeAlso: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=163705.0

Hi All

Sorry for the delay on this.  I've made a very simple start, and am hosting
the vocabulary at.

https://w3id.org/cc

Having chatted on IRC, I'm not only going to model bitcion, but all crypto
currencies in time, starting first with bitcoin.  There's only one use case
currently support, which is a way to tell the semantic web that a link is a
bitcoin address (I know you can already introspect on the bitcoin: link but
introspection requires out of band knowledge).  More explanation below:

*Use Case
*

As a publisher Alice would like to link her web page content (or app) to a
bitcoin address, so that donations can be received by those that have
enjoyed her work.

*Model
*
It's only a slight overhead to model all crypto currencies so perhaps the
model will be something like

URI -> crypto-currency-address -> bitcoin-address

*Implementation
*
The folks at w3id.org have kindly offered to user their permanent
identifier switchboard, then we redirect to a locked down vocabulary.

As an implementer you simply need to add a single rel= tag to your markup.

*Example Usage*

In a web page:

<*meta* rel="https://w3id.org/cc#bitcoin<https://w3id.org/cc#bitcoin-address>"
href="bitcoin:1234...." />

In an html5 app:

<a rel="https://w3id.org/cc#bitcoin <https://w3id.org/cc#bitcoin-address>"
href="bitcoin:1234...."></a>

*Note: you an provide context for an individual concept in HTML5 (as
opposed to the webpage itself), such as an app, a project, a person, but
using the @about tag.
*

For litecoins (coming soon)

<a rel="https://w3id.org/cc#litecoin <https://w3id.org/cc#litecoin-address>"

*Next Steps

*
It's just a small step to start with, can allow all sorts of entities to
start accepting bitcoin in a way that complies with the W3C best
practices.  I'll be improving and extending this over time, feedback or
help is welcome!